HandyDART riders and workers wait for the Mayors’ Council vote
Good news! Today the #TransLink Board and the Mayors’ Council both voted unanimously to approve their ‘Phase One Plan’ which includes a 15% HandyDART increase over 3 years. This HandyDART increase is the result of lots of hard work from HandyDART Riders and allies. So take a moment to celebrate!
But the devil is in the details, and tomorrow the #HandyDART Riders Alliance will start working on the details, and we will need your help in the months ahead. In fact, you can help today by writing a letter to the editor of any of the papers covering this issue. Some points to consider: Continue reading
HandyDART Riders At TransLink Board Meeting
It has been an eventful few months since our last newsletter, with some significant good news for HandyDART riders. But we just got some concerning news and need your help today!
First the good news:
• In September TransLink reported a HandyDART budget increase of $820,000 to fund 33,000 additional trips to meet increasing demand this year. TransLink reports that 90% of these trips are to be provided by HandyDART bus. This is only a small increase, but it is an important step in the right direction. Continue reading
For years, the TransLink Board has met behind closed doors, but thanks to public pressure they will be meeting in public on Wednesday December 9, 2015. And HandyDART riders need to be there to demand better service! The location is Room #400 – 287 Nelson’s Court New Westminster, near Sapperton SkyTrain Station (up a steep hill). Continue reading
Join us for a public dialogue on creating an accessible and age friendly region. Municipal politicians and other representatives from Yes and No sides have been invited to participate. [Update Maple Ridge Councillors Gordy Robson (No) & Craig Speirs (Yes) have agreed to participate, and Selina Robinson MLA will attend as well.] [Update 2 – Dr. Doug Bing MLA has also confirmed]
Saturday, April, 18, 2015 11am – 1pm
Ridge Meadows Seniors Society
12150- 224th Street Maple Ridge
• Why vote Yes? Why vote No?
• Is better public transit, including more HandyDART, needed in Maple Ridge?
• What will people on Yes and No sides do to create a better transportation system, win or lose?
• Make your views known, and find out more about the Mayors’ Transit Plan. Continue reading